To All the College Freshmen

Isabella Szklany, Contributor

Congratulations, you have made it through your first month! You have gone to class, made some new friends, maybe joined a club or two, and have probably already stressed over an essay you had no idea how to write. Plus, you can’t believe, how fast that happened and how it’s the middle of October now. There is no single way to describe what college is, so many things happen in one day. College can only be described as the best, worst, most stressful, but most fun and exciting time of your life.

By now you probably feel that you already have everything figured out, from class, to doing your work, to friends, but the one thing I learned is that as soon as you have it figured out, it all changes again. This is not meant to scare you, but to prepare you for what’s ahead.

Each month, each week, each day, is about waking up and discovering everything that you need to do and how to get it done. You might feel that you are like a hamster on a wheel and are constantly running around in circles. It is going to be stressful but when you look back in a year, five years, 10 years, 20 years, you know that it was all for creating the life that you want to lead.

College is the first time in your life, where there is no set path to follow, and the only path to follow is the one you create for yourself. There is no denying that it is scary not knowing what comes next, from tomorrow, to a month from now or even a year from now, but the only thing granted is how you live each day. That is why you must go into each day thinking that this is going to be the best day of your life and something good will happen. The power of positive thinking is unstoppable and even though you might not know what will happen tomorrow or even a year from now, thinking positively will let you know everything will work out alright.

Take it from me, I felt so lost and confused my first semester of college, between school and friends, I had no idea what I was doing. But going into spring semester, I made a change to start to find something good in each day. This change allowed me to gain the confidence to go after exactly what I wanted to achieve and to start achieving those goals.

So I challenge you to accomplish a goal of yours every single day. It can be something as simple as raising your hand in all of your classes that day or joining a new club. Setting and achieving one’s small goals, make a significant change, because you are promising yourself that every day you will grow into the person who will one day achieve their big goals. Deciding to take a small step forward today will prepare you for those big steps, like landing your dream job. So for those of you, that might feel that it is too late, to join a club, to pull your grades up or to be something different than you were in high school, I am telling you it’s not too late. In college, nothing is too late (expect an assignment), and you can always restart whenever you want to.