What to Do with Your Student Discount Before You Graduate

Melissa Mounier, Contributor

You’re in college, you just threw yourself into student debt, and you’re trying to budget your money so that every dollar counts. Fortunately, many stores and websites offer student discounts so that almost all of your needs are met at more affordable prices. Unfortunately, these discounts almost always disappear once your student email or ID is no longer valid. Whether you are a soon-to-be graduate or a frugal freshman, it’s never too late to take advantage of these discounts.

Electronics:

Apple: For students, student parents, faculty, staff, and teachers of all kinds, Apple offers discounts on iMac and iPad devices. Get $100 off a Macbook or you can trade in an old Apple computer for credits towards a newer model. 

Adobe: For students and teachers, Adobe offers the entire Creative Cloud with more than 20 desktop apps including Photoshop and Illustrator for $19.99/month for the first year, compared to the $52.99/month price tag for non-scholar individuals. 

Best Buy: Students can sign up for Student Deals on the Best Buy website, which will give students access to a variety of different discounts. The deal also includes free next-day delivery, ready in one hour store pick-up, and same day delivery. 

Dell: Like Apple, Dell laptops are perfect for classrooms. Dell University offers a variety of exclusive student discounts, 6 percent back in rewards, and free delivery once you sign up on the website.

GitHub: Like Adobe, GitHub offers a variety of apps. These apps consist of a wide range of programming and development tools for the more tech-savvy students. The license to use these apps vary from a year all the way to graduation. 

Microsoft: On the off-chance that you will actually need Microsoft Office and not just Google Docs, Microsoft offers Office 365 to students for free–and it’s not a trial! In Office 365, you get all the apps such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. On top of this, students can also get $300 off of surface devices and 10 percent off on the Microsoft store. 

Online:

Amazon: Every student knows to take advantage of Amazon Prime. Prime Student gives free two-day shipping, access to Prime TV, and exclusive college promotions. After the trial for Prime Student for $0.99, monthly fees remain at $6.49/month. 

Apple Music*: For students, Apple Music offers a subscription at $4.99/month for 48 months. The deal also comes with free Apple TV+ for the duration. To get the discount, your device must be on the current version of iOS and sign up through the app.

Spotify/Hulu/Showtime: Students can get one month of Spotify Premium for free. After the trial, students can opt to get a package of Spotify Premium, Hulu, and Showtime for $4.99/month for 12 months, which can be renewed as long as the student email remains valid. 

Retail:

Banana Republic: Students and teachers can get 15 percent off full-priced items in-stores only at Banana Republic. To apply for the discount, you need to bring your valid student or teacher ID to the register with your purchase. 

Club Monaco: Students can get 15 percent off of full-price and sale items in stores and online for Club Monaco. For the online discount, simply register an account on their website with your valid .edu email and the discount will be applied at checkout.

J. Crew: At J. Crew, students and teachers can get 15 percent off online purchases. All you need to do is verify the school details on their website

Kate Spade*: Kate Spade will offer a 15 percent discount for students for online purchases only, not for in-store purchases. 

Levi’s*: Like Kate Spade, Levi’s offers a 15 percent discount solely for online purchases. It is only applicable for students studying in the US. 

Toms: For students, Toms offers a 10 percent discount on both full-priced and markdown items using the code: STUDENT10. To use it, Toms must verify you as a student and the code cannot be used more than once. 

Topshop**: Once verified, Topshop will offer students a 10 percent discount on all purchases. This discount is only available online. 

UGG*: Students will be able to apply for a 10 percent discount. The discount will only apply to full-priced items. 

Urban Outfitters*: Students can get 10 percent off online purchases plus other exclusive coupons

Misc.:

FedEx: By joining the Student Discount Club, you can save 30 percent off a document with a FedEx envelope or 20 percent off a package. Simply go to your nearest FedEx and present your valid student ID when making the transaction. 

The New York Times: As long as you are a student, The New York Times will offer you unlimited access to their online articles on any device, including subscriber exclusives such as previews of new media releases at a rate of $1/week or $4/month. 

The Washington Post: Teachers, students, faculty, and staff can subscribe to The Washington Post for $5/month with unlimited access on all devices and unlimited access to all apps connected to the newspaper. 

*Students will have to register with a UNiDAYS account. You will have to verify your school through that app and then register that app with the website.

**Students will have to register with a StudentBeans account. Verify your school through the app and then register that app with the website to access the discount.

Supplement Apps:

All of these apps offer a variety of exclusive discounts to students, whether it is for food, clothing, or travel. Verify the school using your .edu address, and then use these coupons either online or in-store.

UNiDAYS: myunidays.com/US/en-US

StudentBeans: studentbeans.com/us

StudentRate: studentrate.com/