Students weigh in on Trump’s second impeachment

Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Tatiana Compas, Reporter

While STAC students were away on break after finishing up the fall semester, the United States Capitol had been attacked on Jan. 6, 2021. 

The big question is: What led to this deadly insurrection on the Capitol? 

Some people believe that former President Donald Trump incited the attack. He had held a “Save America Rally” just minutes away from the Capitol. 

According to USA Today, Trump said, “We fight like hell, and if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore. So we are going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue – I love Pennsylvania Avenue – and we are going to the Capitol.”

Minutes after this statement was made, many of the rioters walked to the Capitol and climbed the walls, broke down the gates, smashed windows, beat up Capitol police officers and wreaked so much more havoc.

As a result of the Capitol attack, five people died and many were injured.

Later on in the month, Trump was impeached for a second time. He faced the charge with incitement of insurrection. 

The impeachment trial began on Feb. 9, 2021 and was the shortest in American history lasting one week. The Senate voted to acquit Trump with a vote of 57 guilty and 43 not guilty. Seventeen additional “guilty” votes were needed from the Republican senators in order for Trump to have been convicted, according to The Wrap.

Some students at STAC were asked whether or not Trump should have been impeached a second time. Their identities are kept anonymous. 

“They should not have impeached him again. It was pointless because Biden was already set to take over,” one student said.

“I believe being impeached a second time was necessary,” another student said. “Although it was not definite [if] the Democrats would get enough votes to fully impeach the former president it would have given an opportunity to never have Trump hold office again. He is fully responsible for the insurrection he incited and should be held accountable.”

Although STAC students may disagree about whether or not impeachment was the right call, it is quite evident that the attack on the Capitol was an event that should never have happened.